Monday, December 20, 2010

Playing Santa to 900 Orphans

Bob's Story: last Thursday I met for the first time Joe and Ratih Kirk. Joe keeps a web page for Expats in Malang and sends out announcements to everyone on his list. I was happy to make their acquaintance and enjoy their hospitality for dinner. Afterward, we proceeded to the Wesley International School, a private English language school for the children of expats from many countries. The elementary school children staged a play based on a short story by Leo Tolstoy. With their own musical creations they enacted "Papa Panov's Magic Christmas." Their pleasure was infectious.

Earlier, Joe told me that he was slated to play Santa at a special program the following evening. But he looked at my white beard, and thought.... Of course, I said yes, who would pass up such an opportunity, not a ham like me, and so the next evening we went to the NHK hall, snuck in the back and found a room where I could robe in Santa attire. Then I was brought out onto the stage for the initial Santa appearance.

Before me sat a crowd of some 900 or more children from twelve Christian orphanages in Malang, Batu, and surrounding areas. I waved and "ho, ho, ho-ed" and they cheered and waved back. Then Santa went down the aisles calling out "Merry Christmas" and "Salamet Natal." Children smiled, answered, reached out to shake hands, and a dozen photos with happy kids were taken (you wouldn't believe how many of these children had cell phones with cameras), before I returned to the front row to watch the show.

Kids from each orphanage put on a musical performance, to the enjoyment of the crowd which applauded each one with delight. At the end the two MCs invited Santa back to the stage to announce the top three acts chosen by the judges. A representative from each winner came to the stage as I called out, "Hadiah ke tiga; Hadiah ke dua; Sekerang, hadiah ke satu." There were cheers for each, and especially for the first prize winner, the group from Bhakti Luhur.

Let me say something about Bhakti Luhur, which brought 200 kids to this annual event. Founded by a Roman Catholic priest, the organization has set up a home in Malang for physically and mentally handicapped children, some deformed, some missing limbs, some showing the marks of Down's syndromes, some blind, some in wheelchairs. To see this group enjoying this moment moves me even now as I write. I felt privileged to be Santa for them as well as for the other orphans.

Well, I know not why, but after the prizes were announced the female MC turned to Santa and said, "Would you like to sing a song?" Did she intuit that I love to sing? I said yes, paused, and then began "Silent Night." The keyboardist immediately came in with backup, but what blew me away was the sound of a thousand voices joining in, singing both in English and Indonesian. We sang two verses, ending with "Christ the Savior is born." There are no words to describe the spirit of that moment.

Then I made my way to the back of the hall where an Indonesian Santa waited with a dozen women who had neatly packed a thousand Christmas gift bags for each of the orphans, standing efficiently at the ready. We two Santas took turns passing them out and shaking hands with each of the orphans, who smiled and occasionally held a hand of ours to their cheek in a gesture of gratitude and respect. We moved quickly along, and when the last group, the children from Bhakti Luhur, came through I found myself moved as we exchanged greetings. They touched something deep inside me, some emotional or spiritual connection that we made.

I will never forget this evening. It was more than simply the most enjoyable evening I have spent in Malang. It was an evening of grace.

1 comment:

  1. what an amazing amazing night Bob.
    brought a tear to my eye just reading it.
    what a privilege we can occasionally have - to bring some joy to others!

    ReplyDelete