Monday, September 20, 2010

Classes begin!

Just met students in the class that Bob will teach in English conversation.  They are so lively!  All answered as one when I said "Salam aleiku," ("peace be with you").  They love using their limited English.  I left to come by the "American Corners" run by the American-Indonesian Exchange Foundation (AMINEF) that brought me here.  It is nice to have a little American corner in a country that can be overwhelmingly different, geographically, linguistically, and in many other ways.  Whenever I get the thought, "I can't believe I'm in Indonesia," I look around at completely new sights and sounds and am immediately reminded, "Oh yes, I am."  But it's nice and interesting and even fun.
 The other night was karaoke night at the hotel where we are still staying until we get our house fixed up (including getting a sink in the bathroom, along with hot water for a shower).  It was hilarious trying to sing along with Muslim women in head scarfs who knew our American songs so much better than we did.  What a great time getting up sing, and then even dance.  They told me it was "Javanese custom," but to us it sure looked like disco!

No comments:

Post a Comment